Mortgage calculator

?

?

« Back

65.56 acres, Kirby Knowle, Thirsk, YO7., North Yorkshire
For Sale - Guide Price £6,950,000

  • 6 - 7 bedrooms
  • 3 reception rooms
  • 5 bathrooms
  • 65.56 acres
  • Outbuildings
  • Detached
  • Garden
  • Gym
  • Rural
  • Sauna

A classic castle on the hill which has enjoyed what must be one of the best views of rural Yorkshire for over 700 years.

The robust architecture and style have been retained, but following a significant overhaul by the present owners which includes the renovation or replacement of all damaged architectural stonework and window openings together with re-roofing, rewiring and installation of a commercial capacity biomass heating system, this is now comfortable and warm family home.

The present owners, with guidance from English Heritage, have reinvented the interior with exceptional design, beautiful decorations and the highest quality fitments, bespoke joinery and artisan plasterwork.

The internal accommodation has been completely reorganised, the original staircase has been removed, and a three-story open staircase has been installed to allow natural light and take advantage of the exceptional views.

There is a fully refurbished detached cottage, which could be used for guest or staff quarters. The redesigned garden areas to the front south elevation with an ornamental fountain, stone-flagged private areas and a barbecue kitchen provide excellent entertaining space.

History
It was Sir Roger de Lascelles who sought permission from Edward I to build a castle at Kirby Knowle. Construction began in the latter part of the 13th century on an elevated plateaux of land on the southwestern edge of the Hambleton Hills, providing the property with exceptional views over the Vale of Mowbray towards the Vale of York. Part of the castle was destroyed by fire in 1568 whilst in the ownership of St John Constable, and the castle was left in a dilapidated state until it and the surrounding estate were bought by James Danby in 1653. He repaired the ruins using stone from the adjoining castle at Upsall, adding the south (front) and west wings.

His work was continued by Sir Thomas Rokeby (a knight and one of the justices of the king's Bench). During his lifetime Sir Thomas 'Judge' Rokeby was patronised by King William III and Mary Queen of Scots, and it is believed that Mary visited the castle on several occasions. Joseph Rokeby Esq inherited the castle in 1741, and he extended and improved the mansion, bringing to it many of the fashionable features of the period whilst retaining original features where possible, including a priest hole in one of the thick walls. The final phase of alterations and additions took place in 1875 under the guidance of Charles Elsley, who is documented to have rebuilt and remodelled 'the mansion' and ancillary buildings resulting in the present façade.

Thirsk 5 miles, York 29.5 miles, and Harrogate 33 miles. (All distances are approximate).

Disclaimer

Property Ref.65851_HAR012197288. The information about this property is an advertisement displayed on our website by the agent referred to above. This advertisement does not comprise property particulars. AMC does not warrant its accuracy or completeness or the accuracy or completeness of any linked or associated information. Please see website terms of use