Mortgage calculator

?

?

« Back

4.8 acres, Cofton Hackett, Birmingham, West Midlands
Sold (STC) - Guide Price £1,500,000


  • No onward chain
  • Unique redevelopment and improvement potential
  • House extending to 7,490 sq ft
  • Original period features
  • Grade II* Listed
  • Magnificent hammer beam hall
  • 14 bedrooms
  • 5 bathrooms
  • Extensive cellarage - 1,960 sq ft
  • Courtyard with stores & garage - 660 sq ft

An imposing Grade II* Listed detached house of historical importance with enormous redevelopment & improvement potential situated in this sought after location with gardens of 4.8 acres

Description

Situation
Cofton Hall is situated on the Eastern slopes of the Lickey Hills surrounded within lovely Worcestershire countryside yet within easy commuting distance to the motorway networks via the M42 and M5. The property is located less than a mile away from the popular village of Barnt Green which provides a comprehensive range of everyday shops including a Tesco Express and two butchers and many boutique shops. In addition there is a doctor's surgery, two churches, dentist, and St Andrew's First School. The nearby market towns of Bromsgrove and Redditch offer an excellent range of schooling and shopping facilities and amenities and also easy commuting to Birmingham City.

There are many sporting facilities in Barnt Green to include a sports club, cricket club, the sailing club on the Upper Bittell Reservoir together with the nearby exclusive Blackwell Golf Club.


Description
Cofton Hall is a Grade II* Listed detached country house of historic importance. Most of the original 14th Century timber frame building was destroyed by a deliberate fire during the English Civil War. After a visit by King Charles I on 14th May 1645 as a guest of the owner, Thomas Jolliffe, Royalist soldiers set the Hall ablaze the following day before marching to Chester to prevent it falling into the hands of the Parliamentarian Army. Only the Great Hall with a feature eight bay hammer-beam roof survived.
The rest of the building was built in the 18th Century and is an impressive three storey building with the west wing incorporating the original hall with the spectacular hammer-beam roof.

More recently the property has been home to an Evangelical Christian movement with the layout providing communal living accommodation. This is the first time the property has come to the market in over 35 years and provides a unique opportunity for renovation and improvement potential to return the property to a substantial family home or to convert the property into flats or commercial premises subject to obtaining the necessary planning permission.


Gardens & Grounds
The approach to the property is through impressive sandstone pillars along a treelined driveway. The gardens and grounds extend to approximately 4.8 acres and have many mature trees and ancient beech trees which in the spring are interspersed with an array of spring daffodils , crocus, aconites, cowslips and waves of magnificent bluebells.

There is an extensive and productive vegetable garden and fruit trees to include apple, plum, damson, Merton pride and Asian pear, fig and quince.

To the front there is an ample parking and turning area for several cars together with garaging and a courtyard of outside stores. The extensive vaulted cellarage which extends to 1,960 sq ft is believed to have been hewn out of rock extending beyond the building and dates back to the original hall recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.


The Forge


A separate two storey detached annexe provides additional accommodation extending to 1135 sq ft and is ideal for guests, extended family, staff, or alternatively as a separate income. The accommodation comprises a sitting room with a second reception room ideal for use as a home office. There is a breakfast kitchen, a downstairs wet room and on the first floor two double bedrooms and a cloakroom. Outside there is a single garage and parking.


Agent's Note


The floor plans provided in these details have been taken from the Historical Buildings Assessment carried out by Mike Napthan MCIFA on 5th January 2017. These floor plans were accurate at the time and give a good indication of the building's current layout, however, because the building has been used for communal living, some internal partitions may have changed.

Square Footage: 7490 sq ft
Acreage: 4.8 Acres

Disclaimer

Property Ref.76049_BAN210071. The information about this property is an advertisement displayed on our website by the agent referred to above. This advertisement does not comprise property particulars. AMC does not warrant its accuracy or completeness or the accuracy or completeness of any linked or associated information. Please see website terms of use