Mortgage calculator

?

?

« Back

3.18 acres, Nuneaton, Leicestershire, Warwickshire
For Sale - Guide Price £1,700,000

  • Entrance hall with Minton floor
  • drawing room
  • dining room and garden room
  • Kitchen and separate breakfast room with Aga
  • Six bedrooms plus a box room
  • four bathrooms
  • Detached two storey outbuilding/office
  • Mill building
  • Adjoining granary
  • Two self-contained cottages

An outstanding Grade II* Listed Mill House with fascinating mill, granary, cottages and land, sitting within an idyllic rural location.

Description



Situation
Help Out Mill is situated in a peaceful rural setting between the villages of Shackerstone, Odstone and Newton Burgoland on the banks of the River Sence. Shackerstone is renowned for its association with the Heritage Battlefield Line railway with a railway museum, tea room and shop. Both Shackerstone and Newton Burgoland have a public house. Local shops, restaurants, banks, post office and leisure facilities can be found in the nearby historic market towns of Market Bosworth and Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

There are primary schools in both Newton Burgoland and Congerstone and secondary schools in Ibstock, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth. Well regarded independent schools in the area include Twycross House School and Pre-Preparatory School and The Dixie Grammar School in Market Bosworth.

The property is ideally located just 6 miles east of the M42 motorway (J11) providing quick access to Birmingham and Coventry to the south and Derby and Nottingham to the north. The city of Leicester is just 16 miles to the south-east. The A50, A38, M1, M6 and M6 Toll are all within easy reach. Train services run to London from Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield and Birmingham International. East Midlands and Birmingham Airports are 16 miles and 29 miles distant respectively.

Historical Note
Help Out Mill is a fascinating property, steeped in history and character and is Grade II* Listed for its historic and architectural importance. The Mill is believed to have been constructed between 1710 and 1730 and was occupied by the Timms family from 1734 up until 1970 when Elijah Timms died.

During this time both the property and the business underwent many changes, both architectural and innovative, enabling it to operate well into the 20th century to become the last commercial water-powered mill in Leicestershire.

The Mill is one of several mills situated along the River Sence and because of its abundant water supply it was able to help out other millers in times of drought, hence the name Help Out Mill. It has been suggested that the Mill was the inspiration for George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss.

Description
Help Out Mill commands a stately position at the head of a long driveway flanked by fields on either side and having a little bridge over the River Sence. The property comprises a handsome, three storey Georgian residence of red brick construction with a slate roof and an adjoining four storey mill, retaining an impressive display of machinery, including hoists and shafts, millstones, gear wheels and individual grinding mills. Attached to the mill is a three storey granary building, believed to have been added in 1912.

To the north of the Mill are former outbuildings, having been converted to provide two cottages, an office and a restaurant. The delightful gardens and grounds, including paddock land, extend to about 3.18 acres.

The Mill House
The Mill House is an attractive double gabled house which is believed to date from the 1730's, of red brick construction with a slate roof and having a classic Georgian façade. The accommodation extends to 3822 sq ft and has retained much of its original features and character.
The front and rear elevations face east and west respectively.

A panelled front door with arched fanlight and hanging lantern over opens into a light reception hallway which has wonderful Minton floor tiles, a lovely Georgian staircase rising to the first and second floors, a WC, and doors leading through to two reception rooms at the front of the house and the breakfast room at the rear. The drawing room has a lovely cast iron fireplace with tiled inlay and marble surround.

The dining room also has a fireplace with tiled inlay and stone surround and a full height pine butler's pantry with drawers below. Both rooms have multi-pane oak sash windows with pull-up shutters. The breakfast room has a beamed ceiling and timber flooring. A four oven Aga is set within an inglenook which has a fully tiled backdrop, a bressummer beam over and display shelving above. A door opens on to a secondary staircase to the first and second floors and a rear door leads out to the gardens. A side passageway leads through to a useful pantry and cellar and access into the adjoining Mill building.

The wooden flooring and an archway from the breakfast room lead through to the generous kitchen, which has a beamed ceiling and a range of pine units surmounted by both wooden and granite work surfaces and incorporating an electric oven and halogen hob. A large multi-paned window above a double Belfast sink overlooks the rear gardens. Off the kitchen is a delightful garden room with French doors opening out to both the front and rear gardens; full height windows on either side of each door help to create a lovely light room. A wood burning stove sits within a brick fireplace with stone hearth and there is a bread oven within the wall. A ceiling beam spanning the room still contain hooks and rings from when this room was a bake house and charcuterie.

A plain square spindled staircase with polished handrail rises to the first floor landing which has a central sash window overlooking the front of the house and the surrounding countryside. The master suite comprises a bedroom with a cast iron fireplace (unused) and two built-in wardrobes to one wall, an adjoining en suite with separate shower cubicle and bathroom with free-standing bath. The secondary staircase continues from the ground floor up to the second floor. There are two further first floor bedrooms, both having a fireplace and built-in cupboards. These rooms are served by a separate shower room.

On the second floor there are three double bedrooms, all having built-in cupboards and a fireplace, a small single bedroom and two bathrooms, one having Jack and Jill doors allowing separate access from two bedrooms. The four bedrooms at the front of the house have outstanding views over the countryside beyond.

Outside
Help Out Mill has a stunning approach via a long driveway which is flanked by arable fields on either side and crosses a small bridge over the River Sence. The driveway continues to a gravelled parking area to the left of the house or round to the right, alongside the now redundant mill race to the rear of the property. On either side of the driveway is an extensive well maintained lawn with a wide selection of trees to one side, including Scots pine, lime, horse chestnut and poplars and on the other side a selection of mature shrubs along the rear walls of the two cottages and restaurant.
On the left hand side of the house at the front a covered archway leads through to a charming enclosed cobbled courtyard, being screened at the front by open brick walling and greenery. Within the courtyard are several delightful seating areas, raised flower beds within brick mangers and a raised ornamental fish pond. At the rear, steps lead up to a further broad paved seating area, with a retaining brick wall and having a wide lawn with a selection of shrubs, trees and bushes. Adjacent to the garden is a vegetable garden with aluminium greenhouse. Beyond the garden is a paddock extending to about 0.46 acres, with a timber barn with hayloft above.

Rights of Way
We understand that there is a right of access down the drive to the two neighbouring properties beyond Help Out Mill.


Buildings

The Mill
The mill was in operation from 1734 and has been wonderfully preserved since the business ceased trading in 1970, following the death of Elijah Timms.

The building extends to about 2,534 sq ft over four storeys, the ground and first floors being dominated by the central mill wheel. Many of the original tools and machinery remain in situ, including the mill stones, grain chutes, hoppers, hatches and ladders.

Granary
The 'new' granary is believed to have been added on to the mill building in 1912, as depicted in the inscription on the west elevation. This building extends to about 2,726 sq ft and is now predominantly used as a workshop and for additional storage space, although many of the original features remain, such as exposed timbers, floorboards, hatches and ladders. The most notable feature is the original timber clad lucam on the top floor with a sack hoist to serve the top and middle floors. On the middle floor double doors open on to an external loading platform. The building is accessed at the rear via wooden steps giving rise to the first floor.

Former dairy/Manager's office
At the rear of the house is a two storey brick built outbuilding which appears to date from the Victorian period and shows elaborate red and blue brickwork. It is believed that the ground floor was formerly used as a dairy, there being four cheese thralls. The first floor room is currently used as an office and has windows to three sides, shelving and an art deco fireplace. This may well have been the Mill Manager's office when the Mill was in operation.

To the north of the house are situated two self-contained cottages, a restaurant and an office, each being subject to tenancies. For further information please refer to Tenure below or contact Fisher German.

Granary Cottage
A two storey barn conversion comprising a sitting room, dining room/snug, kitchen and utility room on the ground floor and two en suite bedrooms on the first floor.

Sence Cottage
A single storey one bedroom cottage with an open plan living room/kitchen and a shower room.

The Restaurant
The restaurant was converted from the original granary building in 1986. On the ground floor there is a reception area, a snug and ladies' and gents' toilets. The open plan dining room is on the first floor and has a good display of exposed roof timbers and trusses and has a capacity for 48 diners. An external flight of steps leads down to the outside.

The Archway Office
The Archway Office comprises office space of 20'8" x 11'6", which has a wash hand basin, a WC and doors to both front and rear.

The Privy
An original three-hole privy with Minton tiled floor.

Outside store
Within the courtyard is a brick built former stables, currently used as a gym.


Acreage: 3.18 Acres

Disclaimer

Property Ref.64298_ADZ180238. The information about this property is an advertisement displayed on our website by the agent referred to above. This advertisement does not comprise property particulars. AMC does not warrant its accuracy or completeness or the accuracy or completeness of any linked or associated information. Please see website terms of use