Mortgage calculator



« Back

3.08 acres, Restored House and Cottage, Vicarage Hill, Tintagel, Cornwall
Sold (STC) - Guide Price £1,650,000

A substantial and historic former vicarage with an adjoining beautiful cottage both of which have been beautifully renovated to create one of the finest and highest rated B&B's in Cornwall.

Early 19th century parsonage house
Sitting room, dining room, garden room
Kitchen, utility room, cloakroom
Four double bedrooms all with en-suite
Completely renovated in the past 24 months
Adjoining early 17th Century cottage
Sitting room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms
15th Century Gatehouse
Stone Outbuilding and Carport
Medieval Dovecot in wooded grounds
Optional Additional 1/3rd acre plot with pp for cottage by seperate negotiation

A substantial and historic former vicarage with an adjoining beautifully renovated cottage, standing in large grounds within ½ mile of the cliffs and sea, situated adjoining farmland on the edge of the village.

The property comprises a former vicarage, an adjoining cottage and a range of outbuildings including a gatehouse, chapel, dovecot and stone barn.

Having been substantially renovated, restored and improved by the current owners the vicarage offers either a delightful private home and annexe, a business opportunity either as a home with a holiday let cottage or B&B and Cottage. For anyone considering developing a wedding venue in Cornwall, the property is also uniquely suitable with a chapel, accommodation and within walking distance of the picturesque St. Materiana's Church on the clifftop of Tintagel.

The Vicarage dates from the early 1800s and is a substantial two-storey house of traditional appearance, built mainly of stone under a slate roof. During the mid-19th century it was nearly doubled in size with the addition of a rear wing and now contains large well-proportioned rooms with large windows and high ceilings.

The adjoining Fontrevault Cottage is thought to have been built in the early 1600s as the parsonage house and its great age is evidenced by the superb stone-mullioned windows. Comprehensively renovated, this provides an ideal holiday cottage or guest accommodation.

The Vicarage and Gatehouse are Grade II listed whilst the Dovecot is Grade II* and scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

The property lies on the outskirts of Tintagel, adjoining farmland and in a small valley which separates the village from the church near Glebe Cliff. Tintagel contains a good range of facilities with numerous shops, restaurants and a doctors' surgery. A wider range of amenities will be found at the town of Camelford, approximately six miles to the south east.

The coastline here is most beautiful, with rugged cliffs and headlands and the sea turquoise green in colour caused by elements of copper in the rocks. There is a choice of beaches ranging from the small coves at Benoath and Bossiney, to a larger beach at Trebarwith Strand, all within a short drive or accessible on foot via the coastal footpath.

The Parsonage House dates from the early 19th century with a substantial extension added around 50 years later. It is built mainly of stone under a slate roof and at one time had a lean-to conservatory on the south east wall which has now been re-imagined with a delightful garden room overlooking the grounds.
This building was the focus of the majority of recent renovations and included amongst other things:

A new, custom built kitchen
A new garden room
New bathrooms and shower rooms throughout
Restored walls & ceilings with lime plaster and sound proofing
Replaced windows throughout
Refurbished flagstone flooring
New underfloor heating
All new heating systems throughout
Replaced Electrics throughout
New replacement front porch
Masonry repaired and re-pointed
Re-configured floorplan including new en-suites and larger utility room
New plumbing throughout
Landscaped gardens and original driveway restored and extended
New vegetable gardens and aquascaped river

The home features four large double bedrooms (three guest rooms) each with their own highly specified en-suite shower rooms. The master bedroom also has a small adjoining dressing room / nursery. Downstairs there is a kitchen, garden room, dining room and sitting room - these with sliding doors between them creating flexibility of use. There is also a large utility room and plant room.

The comprehensive renovation has created a comfortable and character filled home. Currently used as a boutique Bed and Breakfast and holiday cottage, the accommodation is very highly reviewed and recommended. With generous sized rooms which overlook the superb walled gardens this home is an oasis within walking distance of the village centre.

Originating as The Vicarage and built of stone under a slate roof, Fontrevault Cottage has some very fine stone mullioned windows.

The accommodation has been substantially remodelled and comprises a sitting room with a slate flag floor and featured fireplace. The kitchen has a range of attractive cabinets with a Corian countertop, a double oven range, and a continuation of the flagstone floor. There is sufficient room for a table and chairs, and adjoining the kitchen is a breakfast room or snug with exposed stone walls and a hardwood floor. There is a modern shower room to the rear of the cottage, whilst upstairs there is a modern family bathroom, separate w.c. and 3 bedrooms.

The renovation of the cottage was comprehensive and has created a very high quality holiday let allowing a good return.

The Gate House is thought to date from the 1400s and provides a unique and very private entrance from the road. Large double doors lead into a central room with slate flag floor and a further large pair of double doors leading on into the vicarage grounds. To one side there is a store and to the other a chapel with part slate flag floor and stone mullion window. The chapel was created in 1925 by the conversion of a former Coach House and is dedicated to our Lady of Fontrevault.

There are large walled gardens attached to the property. To the south-west of the Vicarage these are lawned with mature shrubberies and trees including a majestic sycamore near the dovecot. The Dovecot is Medieval and it is thought it may date from the 1200s. Built of stone to a circular design it has a domed and vaulted roof. There is an access hole at the top which admitted pigeons and inside there are 247 rectangular nesting holes arranged in 13 tiers. To the south there is woodland with a stream on the boundary. Fontrevault Cottage has its own garden area to either side of the stream. Surrounding the barn there is further woodland.

To the south east, there is an old carriage drive to The Vicarage which enables the property to be approached without the need to drive into the town. At its end, there is a car port with integral workshop and ample parking.

There is an outbuilding of stone under a slate roof to the north west of the vicarage on a plot of just over 1/3 of an acre on the other side of Vicarage Hill. Planning permission PA21/03179 has recently been granted to convert this building to a 1 bedroom cottage with residential use. This plot is available by separate negotiation with a guide price of £200,000.

The gatehouse dates from the 15th century and contains a small chapel, created in 1925. Some believe the building originated as a cell under the control of Abbess of Fontrevault, others that it is the original one-room parsonage house; English Heritage considers it to have been an old coach house.

Fontrevault Cottage was the vicarage before being part demolished to make way for a large wing extension, the new vicarage.

Of great interest is the dovecot which is Medieval, listed Grade II*, scheduled as an Ancient Monument and which the eminent historian Henderson considered to be 13th century. Known as Culver Houses in Cornwall, dovecots were introduced by the Normans who restricted the right to erect them to lords of the manors, abbots and other ecclesiastics. They were a valuable source of fresh meat during the winter and early spring months at a time when nearly all stock was slaughtered due to a lack of winter feed.

The Rev Sweetser, who was Vicar from 1668 to1684, left a description of the property including mention of a hall, a parlour paved with slate, five chambers and a study. A series of outbuildings are mentioned and an orchard containing around twenty rods of ground sloping down to the river.

Maclean in his work "The Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor" of 1879 wrote: "The building is situate in the valley between the village of Trevena and the church and is to a considerable extent shut off from the public road by a lofty medieval wall, through which by a large gateway under a four-centred arch you enter a pleasant, well sheltered garden or pleasure ground in which there is an ancient Columbarium. There is a tradition that this was formerly the site of a religious house but for this tradition there is, we think, no other foundation than it is not unlikely that the monk who was detached from the Abbey of Fontrevault to take charge of the parish before the assignment of The Vicarage in 1266 had his cell here, which afterwards became The Vicarage".

The cottage has a ground source heat pump. The house is heated with new oil fired boilers with a combination of underfloor heating and radiators. There are Stovax multi-fuel burners in the Living Room and Dining Room. The property is connected to mains water and drainage.


Property Ref.11015_TRU190085. The information about this property is an advertisement displayed on our website by the agent referred to above. This advertisement does not comprise property particulars. AMC does not warrant its accuracy or completeness or the accuracy or completeness of any linked or associated information. Please see website terms of use